OnePlus is rolling out the beta version of Android Oreo update for the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T right now as open beta build 25 and 16 respectively. As much strange as it may sound, the OnePlus 5 Oreo beta is yet to come live.
Usually, we see OEMs hand out latest update to their latest flagship, and not the last year’s one, but we’re happy to see OnePlus make a change here.
We’re yet to see Samsung release the Oreo beta for Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus, but it’s not just Samsung, all other traditional heavyweight OEMs like HTC, LG, Motorola, etc. are yet to release their 8.0 update either in beta or stable. For what it’s worth, there is a beta Oreo build leak for Mate 9 by Huawei, who also hasn’t announced anything Oreo yet.
Clearly, OnePlus has shown its software prowess today by releasing a beta update of its Oreo update earlier than any other Android OEM.
You can download the Oreo update for the OnePlus 3 and 3T easily, using the links given below.
If you want to revert back to the last Open Beta N build (OnePlus 3 Open beta 24 or OnePlus 3T Open Beta 15) you will need to flash the special build provided below. Because of the nature of downgrading from a major version, this will cause you to lose partial data.
Instructions and Info:
- The build will wipe app and cache data, but Internal Storage will be saved (ie: pictures and files)
- Users who revert their device back to the special build can still OTA update the device to Android O build at a later date.
- Steps to revert:
- Download special build
- Copy to Internal storage
- Reboot to recovery Mode to install
- Choose “Install from Local”
- Choose the downloaded build to install
- Special builds for latest Android N Open Beta builds(S3 Link):
Please keep in mind that this is beta software. These builds are sometime not as stable as our official OTAs generally are. By installing this update, you accept the potential risks of data loss.
If you have already flashed an Open Beta (you are currently running the latest Open Beta) you will receive this new build as an OTA.
If you ARE NOT running open beta software and would like to, please refer to the flashing instructions and the full ROM found in the downloads page here: http://downloads.oneplus.net/
Once you migrate to the Beta path, you will continue to receive Open Beta OTAs. You will NO LONGER receive the regular Official Stable OTAs.
Moving back to the Official OTA path from the Beta path will require a full install and clean flash (FULL WIPE of all data and cache)
- System changes
- Update to Android O (8.0)
- Added Picture in Picture
- Added Auto-fill
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- September security patch
- Update to Android O (8.0)
- Launcher changes
- Added Notification dots in Launcher
- Added OnePlus account login for access to Shot on OnePlus
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus through wallpapers
- Fingerprint actions may be slower than you are used to.
- Shortcut to access Google Photos is unavailable
- Some stability issues with NFC and bluetooth
- Performance and compatibility of 3rd party apps will continue to be optimized