Samsung Galaxy Note 8 will feature a curved screen slightly bigger than the 6.2-inch Galaxy S8+, a source informed Reuters. It should also have twin cameras on the rear, likely owing to the success of the iPhone 7 Plus. The latter uses its second lens for 2x optical zoom, as well as simulating depth-of-field effects in Portrait mode.
Much is riding on the Note 8, since its predecessor —the Note 7 —was taken off the market just two months after its own August debut, plagued by a series of battery fires. Samsung eventually concluded that two separate problems were to blame, and instituted a new testing regime to avoid a repeat.
The S8 line, released after the Note 7, has sold well so far and gone without any reported battery fires.
Apple is expected to reveal three new iPhones in September: the 7s, the 7s Plus, and finally the so-called “iPhone 8.” Because of production delays, the “8” may not hit shelves until October or even later.
Like the standard S8, the “iPhone 8” is expected to use an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, support wireless charging, and ditch a physical home button in favor of a virtual one. The iPhone’s screen won’t wrap around the edges though, and should embed Touch ID, avoiding the need for a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.
Some other “iPhone 8” features may include 3D facial recognition and iris scanning, a new “A11” processor, and quicker cable-based charging. The 7s and 7s Plus should share some of these upgrades, but use LCDs instead of OLED.
Analysts said that Samsung is “intent” on continuing to use the Note brand, despite the Note 7 devices that caught fire on a worldwide scale last year and ultimately cost the company $5.4 billion.
Tech giant Samsung Electronics Co Ltd plans to hold a launch event in New York City for its next Galaxy Note smartphone in the second half of August, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.
Samsung is intent on continuing the premium Note series despite the costly collapse of the Galaxy Note 7, which it was forced to scrap roughly two months from launch in October due to fire-prone batteries. The incident, one of the biggest product safety failures in tech history, cost the firm 6.1 trillion won ($5.4 billion) in operating profit and hurt its credibility.
Following the initial cases of exploding batteries in the Note 7, Samsung faced a tough few months in 2016, sending out a video apology to users, halting Note 7 sales worldwide, and encountering a ban of the smartphone from all U.S. flights. In January, the company concluded that a design flaw in the Note 7’s battery and some welding defects were the main culprits behind the handsets that caught fire.
For that, we apologise, especially to those of you who were personally affected by this. To those of you who love the Note, the most loyal customers in our Samsung family, we appreciate your passion and your patience. We take seriously our responsibility to address your concerns about safety. And we work every day to earn back your trust, through a number of unprecedented actions and with the extraordinary support of our carrier partners, suppliers, and the United States Consumer Productions Safety Commission.
Here are the facts: the CPSC has worked closely with us to develop, expedite and execute a plan to protect American consumers. We notified them of a potential defect in the original Note 7 batteries and then issued a global directive to stop sales immediately. To date, we have already exchanged a 130,000 units – a fast and meaningful start. And with the CPSC’s partnership, we will continue implementing corrective steps to exchange every single Note 7 on the market.
To be clear, the Note 7 with the new battery is safe. The battery cell issue is resolved. And this finding has been affirmed by a recognized independent lithium-ion battery expert. To our Note 7 owners, if you have not yet replaced your original Note 7, please, please, power it down, and return it.
Now, Samsung runs an 8-point Battery Safety Check for its smartphones, beginning with the April launch of the Galaxy S8, and analysts believe that the company’s messaging is helping it to recover quickly following the Note 7 drama. Samsung said that pre-orders were its “best ever” for the Galaxy S8 earlier this year, leading to what could be the company’s highest profit period ever for April-June 2017.
When it launches, the Galaxy Note 8 will be another competitor for Apple in the premium smartphone space, with Apple’s “iPhone 8” launch event expected to take place sometime in the traditional mid-September time frame. For the iterative iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus update last year, industry analysts said that the lack of “a compelling enough feature set” was not enough to convince some owners of potentially exploding Note 7 devices to switch from Samsung to Apple.
Galaxy S8 Prototype With Dual Camera
Yet another prototype of the Samsung Galaxy S8 with a dual camera setup leaked online on Tuesday, giving more credence to reports that the South Korean phone maker was seriously considering implementing such an imaging system into its latest pair of Android flagships that was launched in late March. The device that can be seen in the images above this writing is seemingly identical to the one sighted shortly after Samsung officially announced the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus, as well as the handset that later appeared on Weibo in mid-April. Much like the previously uncovered phones, the newly leaked prototype lacks a fingerprint scanner on its rear panel and either doesn’t feature it at all or sports an optical sensor embedded into its display panel, which is another technology that the Seoul-based original equipment manufacturer (OEM) was said to be working on while developing the Galaxy S8 series.
The source that shared the latest images speculates how they might indicate that Samsung is preparing a revision of its new flagship lineup equipped with a dual camera setup, but that doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario. Instead, the real-life photos presumably depict an experimental design that the company ultimately scrapped at some point in late 2016 or early 2017 before it greenlighted the mass production of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus. The upcoming Galaxy Note 8 is now rumored to become Samsung’s first high-end handset with a two-lens imaging system on its rear panel, though the company is also working on a similar setup for the Galaxy C10 and Galaxy C10 Pro mid-rangers, industry sources previously claimed.
While the 2017 addition to the Galaxy Note lineup is likely to sport a dual camera setup that was scrapped for the Galaxy S8 family, the device still isn’t believed to ship with an optical fingerprint reader, with recent reports claiming that Samsung is still struggling to commercialize that technology due to a number of issues, including problems with screen brightness imbalance. More details on the smartphone should follow shortly as the Galaxy Note 8 is said to be revealed in late August before officially becoming available for purchase in September.