The new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus may look roughly the same as their predecessors, but one fairly subtle design change is pretty radical for Apple – the signature home key is not clickable anymore. Yep, the physical home key we’ve grown accustomed to since the very first iPhone is now of the trendy capacitive variety, with a new Taptic Engine providing the necessary vibration feedback so that the key doesn’t feel like a touchpad.
How to reboot your iPhone 7
- Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side
- While continuing to hold the On/Off button, press and hold the volume down button on the left side of your iPhone.
- Hold both buttons as the screen turns off, and keep holding them until the screen turns back on and displays the Apple logo.
How to put your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode
- Plug in your iPhone 7.
- Make sure iTunes is running.
- Turn Off your iPhone 7 if it isn’t already.
- Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side of your device for 3 seconds.
- Press and hold down the volume down button on the left side of your iPhone 7 whilestill holding down the On/Off button.
- Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you’ve held them too long and will need to start again.)
- Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the volume down button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the “Plug into iTunes” screen, then you’ve held it too long and will need to start again.)
- If the screen stays black, that’s it! Your iPhone 7should now be in DFU mode.
At this point, iTunes should show you an alert saying it’s detected your iPhone 7 will allow it to be restored.
Reminder: If you see any logos on your device, you might be in Recovery Mode, but you’re not in DFU mode. If Recovery Mode works, great. If not, try for DFU Mode again.