OnePlus 5T is essentially an updated version of the OnePlus 5, there are not too many changes to note but there’s already a official TWRP to help users get the device rooted, for those who like to do that kind of thing.
An official version of TWRP has been built from source and released (thanks to XDA Developers). Now you can start flashing custom kernels and ROMs, but restoring the data partition from backups will result in boot issues if File Based Encryption is enabled.
- Enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options
- Reboot to the bootloader and open a command prompt or terminal and type:
fastboot oem unlock
- Unlock your bootloader as prompted, which will wipe the internal storage
- Download the official TWRP for the OnePlus 5T
- Change directories in the command prompt window or terminal to where you stored this file, and then type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.0-0-dumpling.img
- Boot into recovery, you should see TWRP pop up
For a more detailed guide check out this post.
What is TWRP? For those who may not already know, TWRP is an open-source custom recovery image tool made specifically for Android-based devices. It allows for a number of root-level adjustments and customization to be implemented on a given device.