Samsung phone explodes in a man’s shirt pocket

Another Samsung phone has gone up in flames. But it’s not Samsung at fault this time.

A man in Indonesia was seen falling onto the ground trying to rip his shirt off after his phone exploded in his left breast pocket and set the garment aflame, Channel News Asia reported Thursday. The phone in question was a Samsung Grand Duos model released in 2013.

CCTV footage of the incident inside Hotel Ciputra Semarang in the city of Semarang, Central Java, showed the 47-year-old Yulianto, who works as a concierge supervisor, standing in the lobby.

When he reached for his phone, it went up in flames, sending sparks flying and setting his shirt on fire in bright blue flames as tumbled to the ground.

“There was a strong sensation of heat and I felt something start to shake,” said Yulianto as quoted by The Daily Mail. “Before I knew what was happening there was fire and I panicked. I took off my shirt as quickly as I could.”

Yulianto, who said he never had problems with his phone before, managed to remove his shirt with the aid of a bystander after a few frantic seconds. He was then taken to hospital for minor burns, according to police.

“The incident happened on September 30. The phone was a Samsung brand and Grand Duos model. The owner was Mr Yulianto, aged 47,” said police spokesperson Agus Triatmoko on Monday (Oct 2). “Mr Yulianto immediately removed his shirt after the phone exploded. He had no significant injuries.”

The phone was not being charged by a portable charger when it exploded, police said, though Yulianto was using the Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth functions which may have contributed to overheating.

There have been no previous reports of exploding Grand Duos. Indonesian police said they are investigating the incident.

“Consumer safety is our top priority,” Jo Semidang, corporate marketing director of Samsung Electronics Indonesia, told local media.

“We have seen the consumers concerned to provide the necessary support, and we are currently investigating the device.”

According to Indonesian media, the model was released in 2013 – before the notorious Samsung Galaxy Note 7 which was recalled over exploding batteries.

It’s not the first time the South Korean phone maker has had to deal with a fiery problem. Samsung was thrust into the spotlight last year when several reports that its Galaxy Note 7 were exploding emerged just weeks after it was first released.

The company had to replace the device for users, and when the problem remained even after that, it eventually had to recall the phone again and kill it. This time, however, the issue doesn’t appear to lie with Samsung.

Read: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Reviews: Expensive But Imperfect Phone With Bigger Expectations

To Top